Monday, October 10, 2011

bits and pieces of HK 2011

okok, here comes the long overdue post.

#1 First trip back to China - alone
I experienced total freedom while I was in HK. I do not feel the need to report to anybody everyday and I can decide what I want to do and where I want to go after classes. As promised, I took a bus back to China to spend time with grandma over the weekend during the second week of summer school. Initially, I planned to leave on Friday morning but there was nothing for me to do after class on Thursday afternoon, so I gave GM a call to tell her that I am heading back that afternoon, went back to my room to pack and left school. I called the bus company while waiting for the shuttle bus to the University station. They told me the the 3pm bus was cancelled and the next one will be at 4. I am like.... should I go back to my room and rest or what? In the end I decided that I should just walk around Shatin Plaza while waiting. Just so happen that I saw Saiah on the bus and she was going to Shatin as well! She kept me company and helped me with my heavy bag while we were walking in the mall, that was really nice of her! GM prepared a spread for dinner but there was a jam and by the time I reached our China home, it was 8 in the evening, GM was constantly peeping out at the gate, looking out for me. I was the last passenger to alight from the bus at the bus terminal which used to be a busy hotel in the past, now it looks like a haunted building. It was quite daunting to be standing alone in front of the worn down hotel trying to flag for a cab under the dim street lights (luckily the lights were not flickering). After some waiting, I managed to get on a cab and within minutes, I am back home! I felt so happy to be back for dinner with GM, that was one of happiest moments of the week (consider living with a roommate with a terrible attitude).

Dinner was great. As usual, we went to the market in the morning, had breakfast and went back home, life was slow and easy there. At night, I went to this decent pub with my aunt and cousins. There was a Filipino band performing and there were a lot of ang mohs! I was back after 12 and GM wasn't too happy about that. I got to meet my little cousins on Sunday morning! They are just so cute especially the youngest one, she is three this year and she knows a lot - smart. We had supper just below our house and she dipped her cracker into my glass of beer and she likes it so much that she dips it in before every bite! The supper was so good, even better than SG's. We didn't have an air-con and it was summer so the temperature at night was quite unbearable. GM ordered for a Mitsubishi air-con the very next day, power! I got to enjoy a night of good sleep before going back to HK for another week of school.

#2 Disneyland or mummy?
The cultural tour on week 3 was either Disneyland or Oceanpark. I picked Disneyland as I visited Oceanpark last year. But, mummy is coming to HK on the very same day. I was contemplating on whether to go to Disney first and then meet her at the airport or skip Disney totally and just meet her at the airport. Thank goodness there was a validity period for our Disney tickets, so I did the latter. Went to Shatin and took the airport express to HKIA to fetch mummy. We settled into her hotel at Tsing Yi and I brought her to CUHK and my hostel. We went shopping at Fa Yuen Street that night, it was one of the rare moments that we can spend time together (overseas), and having been in HK for the past weeks, I felt like a tour guide, haha! We went to Shen Zhen the next day to have my hair cut and we did foot massage - tai tai lifestyle (for a day nia) :) She bought her iphone 4 covers and external chargers after much bargaining (she's a pro). I stayed at the hotel with her for that weekend. We had so much fun together! She left for Macau alone while I went back to China, this time bringing a friend along :)

#3 Back to China - with a friend :)
I am glad that I met Hsin Mei on this trip. We were in the same class and I also found out that we both like China a lot! So we went to China together for more shopping.. opps! Haha. This time round it was only a day trip cos we have lessons the next morning! Our travelling time to and fro took up most of the day. Hsin Mei bought a life size Rilakkuma soft toy back! :p We had dinner with GM and then head back to HK at around 6pm. Time was tight. But we only reached HK at 10pm cos of the heavy jam and car accidents along the way. Along the way came a group of HongKong aunties, who just can't stop talking throughout the whole journey back to HK. Not that I am against people talking on the coach, but look at the situation, it was the end of the day where I believed that they also had a tiring day and they were on a bus with other passengers... We could only depend on our ipod for peace.

#4 Skipping island tour for airport
I wanted to go for the island tour so much, so much! But it falls on the very same day which GM and mum is going back to SG. Again, I left HK after Thursday's class back to China again :p This time round, having more experience, I took the earliest coach and arrived in China at 5pm, met up with mummy at the local shopping mall and we went to our uncle's house at the village for dinner with GM and his family. So much good food! I had so much fun with my little cousins again! Two of them are twins and they were just clinging on to me like monkeys :p GM was quite impressed by the way I handled kids when she saw how much fun we had :) On the last night, I decided that I should send them to the airport instead of going for the island tour. They had bought the bus tickets from China straight to HKIA days ago and I had to call up the bus company to book my ticket at the last minute. Surprisingly, they issued 3 tickets to GM when she first paid for 2. It happened that somehow the ticket lady miscounted them, and just nice 2 of the pages stuck to each other, which made her tear 3 pieces at a go. So there was actually this extra ticket left and just so happen that we needed one more seat. Sounds very confusing but I am trying to say that things happen too coincidentally that even I myself find it hard to believe. If not for that mistake made by the lady, I would not have any ticket to the airport. And so, good-bye to China and my relatives on the morning of 23rd of July. I took the airport express back to Shatin then the train back to CUHK after sending them off. Many who went for the island tour said it was disappointing as they had nothing to do at the islands and they got sun brunt in return. I was glad that I gave it up for family time :)

#5 OceanPark again
After I settled down back at the hostel, I went to OceanPark with SueLynn. Crazy right? Thinking back, I really can't believe I did that all in 1 day. China -> HK airport -> OceanPark. The only ride I took was the Pirate ship. We sat in the middle of the ship and yet I screamed like hell. Weak heart I suppose :x Last year, I missed out the jellyfish aquarium but this year we managed to find it! Yay! I think I can stand there for hours and just look at the jellyfishes swim.... We took the cable car back down and headed for dinner.

To be continued...

P.S. Do you believe in mere coincidence?

No comments: